We love the tradition in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn of residents decorating their houses, from roof to ground in festive holiday lights every year. These aren’t your run of the mill Costco Christmas decorations – professional services dress these houses like they’re ready for the Oscars, and the crowds show up in droves!
This is by far my favorite Christmas lights destination in NYC. Street after street houses are more outrageous than the next. It’s mind boggling to me to see how many families participate in this extreme hobby – but I’m so glad they do because it’s really quite something to see.
These displays attract such droves of people, there are actually tour buses that shuttle groups here. Dyker Heights is in southwest Brooklyn, it took about an hour for us to drive there from upper Manhattan. We made this trip in early December so it wasn’t a mob scene yet and we easily found parking on the street, but it gets harder as it gets closer to Christmas. Regardless, it’s worth it. This is such a destination even apple maps and waze has ‘Dyker Heights Christmas Lights’ as a navigation point.
- Dyker Heights Christmas lights are in southwest Brooklyn, they are seen throughout the neighborhood but the best spots are 11th to 13th Avenues between 83rd and 86th Streets.
- If driving be prepared for lots of traffic. By public transportation you can take the D train to 79th Street but it’s a long walk.
- There are also tours available which can be find online.
- We parked on 83rd street between 11th avenue and 12th avenue and walked a couple blocks in each direction.
- The most magical street is probably 84th street, police officers actually had this street blocked off to vehicles protecting all the spectators on foot.
- We saw lots of families walking around sipping hot chocolate. Kids were running around in pajamas under their coats.
- On a cold night, you may want to consider putting your kid in a stroller w/a warm blanket, even if they are a little too big, that way everyone enjoys it with fewer ‘im freezing’ complaints!