PepsiCo Sculpture Gardens/ The Donald M. Kendall Sculpture Gardens
I was pleasantly surprised to find out PepsiCo has a world-class sculpture garden at their corporate headquarters in Purchase, NY that’s completely free to the public! They just reopened their grounds April 1st, 2017. Formally the name of this incredible gem of a garden is called The Donald M. Kendall Sculpture Gardens. My family used to visit with our little pug prior to it’s closing in December 2012. Since it’s been reopened the grounds remain as incredible as ever however it is unfortunately no longer dog friendly. The hours changed to, it used to be open 7 days a week but now only open to the public Saturday and Sunday 10 am to 4 pm.
The gardens cover a sprawling 168 acres and feature 45 outdoor sculptures. Many of them are designed by renowned artists such as Miro, Rodin and Calder. The company’s former CEO, Donald Kendall hand picked the 45 sculptures which were installed in 1970. Kendall is often noted for saying: “We were after building something noble and grand; a place of business that would enrich and inspire all who worked there or visited; a place to be proud, to make them proud.”
My family certainly thinks these gardens are grand and definitely worth making the short 30 minute drive from NYC to Purchase, NY to take advantage of Kendall’s philanthropy. Since the grounds are so large, it normally takes us several visits to see all of the sculptures.
- Grounds are accessible via car only.
- You need ID to gain entry onto the gated property.
- No pets allowed (note: this is new, they used to allow dogs).
- No sunbathing or playing sports.
- No feeding of ducks or fish.
- Signs post that no bikes skateboards, rollerblades, Segways, scooters and hover boards are allowed. It doesn’t say anything about strollers or wheelchairs, however the pathways are made loose stones so it would make using any sort of wheeled vehicle difficult. I suggest not taking strollers and calling if wheelchair access is required.
- Public Bathrooms and vending machines are located at the welcome center in the gardens parking lot.
- PepsiCo Sculpture Gardens
700 Anderson Hill Rd.
Purchase, NY 10577
- Visiting hours: Saturday and Sundays 10am – 4pm.