It’s been several months since I last visited my favorite spot in NYC, Wave Hill. This slice of bliss is located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, about 10 minutes north of Manhattan. I always drive but you can take public transit as well.
Wave Hill is an estate with gorgeous public gardens. It has 28 acres of rolling hills, about a dozen different gardens, small nature hikes through woods and breath taking views overlooking the Hudson River. It also has three houses on the property which act as a visitors center, art gallery and gift shop.
Family Art Project:
One of my favorite times to visit Wave Hill is on weekends. Saturdays and Sundays they host a free art class for families called Family Art Project. At these sessions families can arrive as they want anytime between 10am – 1pm and join in the workshop where they are led through nature-inspired arts and crafts.
These happen every Saturday and Sunday morning, from 10AM to 1PM, in the Sally & Gilbert Kerlin Learning Center. Admission is free on Saturdays from 9am -noon, so if you plan it right you can have a completely free family day.
No words will be able to describe the gorgeous views and gardens here, you really need to make a visit to take in the beauty. Some of the types of gardens are as follows:
- Alpine House and Dry Garden
- Aquatic & Monocot Garden
- 10 acres of woodlands
- Greenhouses with a cactus room and a tropical room
- Perennial Flower Garden
- Pergola and vistas of the Hudson River and the New Jersey Palisades
- Elliptical Garden and Conifer Slope
- Wild Garden
There are many different events year-round. They offer guided garden and bird walks, lectures, music & dance performances, gardening workshops and even photography lectures. Check out their extensive events page to learn about all of these opportunities.
Wave Hill is open Tues – Sunday 9am – 4:30PM.
$8 Adults, $4 Students and Seniors 65+, $2 Children 6+
Free to Members and children under 6
Free to IDNYC holders
The property is also free on Tuesdays & Saturdays: 9AM-Noon
Parking is $8 in the lot located on the grounds, or free if you park down the hill and utilize their free shuttle service.
Take the 1 train to 242nd Street. A free Wave Hill shuttle picks up on the west side of Broadway in front of Burger King at 10 minutes past the hour, from 9:10am to 3:10pm. The shuttle van returns visitors to Broadway in front of Burger King, departing Wave Hill’s front gate on the hour, from noon until 5pm.
- Strollers are welcomed but you won’t be able to access all paths as some are gravel and use stairs. We left our stroller in a stroller parking area and took some paths then picked the stroller up again.
- Picnics are allowed in a picnic area only. No blankets are allowed on the lawns.
- You are allowed to run and walk on the grass.
- Bring a camera, the photo opportunities here are huge.
- The gift shop sells honey sticks for 50cents, we get one of these each time we arrive then my daughter runs her sugar buzz off on the trails.
- Free parking is available at the bottom of the hill, they will direct you to this at the front gate.
- Children under 6 are free.
- They have nice bathrooms and a cafe.
Check out our video we shot during a Saturday morning visit in April 2016: