Monte, Brooklyn (4) our neighbor Oscar (3) and I just visited a brand new spot which is sure to be a hit, CoolMess. It’s the upstairs space above Burger Heaven on 62nd and Lexington. They’ve transformed the floor to a full blown make-it-yourself ice cream cafe. The entrance is on 62nd street, complete with a pink velvet rope. As you enter you ascend a staircase with walls and ceilings covered in decorative sprinkles and festive neon signage. We knew at the entrance we were going to love this place.
After being greeted by very friendly staff, we were seated. Each table comes with an ice cream maker and the placements are menus. We decided to order some real food first, then got busy learning how to make ice cream!
First you pick your base, chocolate or vanilla. The liquid base for both flavors is from organic ice cream maker Blue Marble. Then you pick your baked goods: cookie, brownie, pound cake or a daily special. Then you pick 3 toppings ranging from Oreo cookie crumbs and mini marshmallows to Snickers, strawberries and much much more. The extremely attentive staff brings this all to you and you do it yourself by pouring the ingredients into the ice cream maker, and hitting the ‘on’ switch.
Our food arrived just in time to turn on our ice cream maker. We enjoyed burgers, chicken fingers and fries which were prepared downstairs at Burger Heaven but served upstairs at Cool Mess. The food was legit, worth coming back for. Then in just 8 minutes the ice cream was ready!
This is the kind of cafe that caters to everyone. Oscar and Brooklyn were happy to make their own. Since I personally can’t eat dairy, I opted to have sorbet. Among the selections from the famous Orchard Street Il Laboratorio del Gelato were flavors like salted caramel, coffee, amaretto crunch, and sorbets of mango, lemon and raspberry.
The gelato was served with a bright pink spoon that changed color to purple when cold! The kid in me was tickled over this, I was actually more impressed that the little ones.
Cool Mess also has a ridiculous menu of sundaes with creative names like ‘Holy Cow’, vanilla ice cream sandwiched between a doughnut, hot fudge, whipped cream and sprinkles, ‘Banana Splitsville’, your classic sundae and ‘The Mess’, a sundae with brownie, peanut butter ice cream, caramel, mini peanut butter cups, whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. If you’re not in the mood for frozen treats they have a wall of candy to pick from as well as an assortment of Fat Witch baked goods and giant, and I mean GIANT, rice crispy treats.
- One batch of ice cream is $25.00. It serves about 3 – 4 people. When I make homemade ice cream it costs about the same but isn’t nearly as fun.
- They will pack up what you don’t eat, we brought home about a pint.
- Burger Heaven has awesome food, we made an afternoon of it by having lunch then this awesome make your own dessert.
- There are options for most all types of dietary needs (dairy free, gluten free, nut free and egg free). Although not all are DIY ice cream.
- Staff will help you navigate the stairwell with strollers.
- They have several party packages which sound pretty sweet 🙂
- CoolMess is located at 137 E. 62nd St., 212-355-9834
- For DIY fun check out Voila Chocolat
- To read about the craziest milkshakes in NYC click here Black Tap.