Yesterday afternoon I took a step back in time, visiting Florham Park Roller Rink, NJ. This roller rink is as nostalgic as it gets with 80’s colors, a disco ball and staff to match the decade. The few signs you’re in current times are roller blades and current pop music playing.
The 45 minute drive from NYC was so worth it. Florham Park Rink had everything I remembered from my childhood skating rink. They even had the same games: limbo, shoot the duck and turns for boys skate and girls skate.
Our four year old was in heaven. She’s had a pair of roller skates for about a year now and she was proud to show anyone who would look her smooth moves. I tried out my new pair of blades and they served me well. I even surprised myself with a couple of spins. My boyfriend rented roller skates and did laps with a huge grin watching his girl, the tiniest one in the rink, skate laps to the beats of Taylor Swift and Pit Bull. We all broke a sweat and shared a lot of laughs.
They had several arcade games and an old school photo booth. We really enjoyed ourselves taking a step back in time and sharing it with our daughter.
We unfortunately saw a couple of bad spills, one with a likely ER visit to x-ray a wrist. We wore helmets which we brought from home but were almost the only ones wearing them. I highly recommend bringing any protective gear you have. Skating is only fun if you don’t get a bad injury, so protect yourselves.
- Rentals are available for roller skates and roller blades in a large range of sizes including small kid sizes. $4/pair
- You can bring your own skates or blades.
- Strollers are not permitted in the building.
- Snack bar is cash only.
- Bring your own helmet and protective gear like wrist guards and knee pads. These items are not available to rent.
- You can bring in your own snacks and drinks.
- Lockers are available to rent, however we kept everything in a backpack which I wore skating. Many people left backpacks under seats and everything seemed pretty safe.
- Depending on what time you skate it’s $6.50/$7.50 per person. Rentals are $4/person.
- For hours and directions: Hours & directions
- My 4 year old daughter uses EZ Roll skates, these are designed to make skating easier with a wider wheel base at the heel. We bought ours at Walmart but they’re also available on Amazon. These are not available to rent.